So, let's see... About a year or so ago, I started talking to co-workers about going vegan. I have heard how it's really healthy for you, it is great for cleansing out your organs and breaking it down to basics. I've never had the courage to really go VEGAN, though I have gone humane and cruelty free.
One of the people in the entertainment industry I adore, Ellen Degeneres, is a vegan. I had spent a lot of time on her website in the last few years reading about vegan-ism. To me, the core of why I would want to be a vegan is more than the health benefit. Sure, you are going to be hard pressed to find a fat vegan, though I am sure ANYTHING is possible, but speaking to who I am as a person, going vegan makes sense. Let me explain.
I have spent a lot of time over the last few weeks as I have been packing, reading through journals, revisiting my blog, and as I approach 30 years old, look back on my life. That Amy, of the last 30 years, through trials and sadness, still loved people and had a heart of compassion. In nearly every blog and journal entry I could find some form of love, compassion, or hope. No matter how ugly...
Me, down to my core, am a compassionate and caring person. Now. Compassion doesn't just start and stop with people, people. Don't get me confused with a crazed hippie. Nope, that's not me. But, to have compassion for the Earth that has sustained life for so long, the animals that give beauty and variety to the earth, to appreciate every living thing because it is living the measure of its' creation. To treat them all with love and respect... that. Now that is me.
If I want to live my truth, ME down to my core, and feel harmonious in what I am doing... I think I should live it on all levels that I can. Am I going to do this perfect? Nope. I know that. I will get mad at someone who made me late for something or another. I will be impatient. I have to allow room for growth, failure and learning. But what matters is that I make a conscious effort daily to give back, show love and appreciate things that make my life amazing.
Living in Idaho I see a lot of livestock and quite a good amount of wildlife. Just the other day I was driving to Meridian and my car hit a bird. I immediately started to cry and "pray" for the life of the bird who died in front of my car, hoping it wasn't a mother bird returning with food for her babies. Is that something everyone does? No. But I do. I feel for things. Heaven forbid I have to watch the animal planet. I cry and get all upset watching Meerkat Manor or Nat Geo. Yes, I realize that nature has to take its' course but still... Back to the topic. I look into the faces of these cows, they have feelings, the momma cows give live birth, they know their young, they nurse their young. I have a hard time eating something with a face. (My mom will tell you - I was never much of a meat eater as a kid and teenager and used to say Meat is Murder... ha ha ha. Dad used to tease me about that too...) But not all animals are free range or humanely treated when going for slaughter.
Animals have feelings. Sure, they may be bred to live and die as a meal, but they shouldn't be treated disrespectfully. I think there is a lot of wisdom in the Mormon teachings called "The Word of Wisdom" where it says to eat meat sparingly, in times of famine, or cold. That makes sense. If you think back on it... animals sustained farms, not human appetites. We know how to make clothes and other items without animal products, so why use an animal?
Back to Ellen for a moment. She introduced me - via her web page - to a man named John Pierre. He is incredible. I had been searching for someone to look up to, to emulate. A REAL person. Not Hollywood driven or ego driven, but REAL. And he's a perfect mentor and fit for what I need in my life right now. I can't even begin to describe how complete I am feeling with this new found "master" in my life - guiding me to a better way. Vegan, Green, Compassionate, Real. Sounds like me, right? This is him though! *does happy dance*
My next 30 years is going to be dedicated to a life of compassion, service, love, joy, and health overflowing.
No comments:
Post a Comment