BWA-HA-HA!
Back in my high school days, of dear ol' Salty-Tuna High - acutally Sultana High, I didn't really enjoy much of school. My senior year was a delight because I signed up for ROP Cosmetology classes so I'd get dismissed early. The things that beauty school would bring into my life were all to bizarre, except for the laughability rockabilly best friend I'd find there.
Robin, my friend of - holy crap - 10 years, and I met in this Ghetto Fabulous beauty school. The first conversation we had was over cherries I had drawn on my nail kit box and she asked me to put them on her fingers, and it's been friends ever since.
Robin and I would go on amazing, crazy adventures. Sitting on the curb where Mike Ness grew up, walking the pier at Huntington Beach dressed like little rockabilly girls, the cruise nights at Hot Rods, meeting strange men from a band (Johnny Ransom) Downside, and the list goes on....
I was her hair model for a hair show - which we never wound up doing and Paul Mitchell's team WHACKED my hair off - and she was my acrylic nail hand model. I remember feeling like I was gonna crap my pants. She'd just sit across from the table from me, turn her finger a certain way so I'd see a mistake, and we'd have this silly inner laughter going on.
I think at that time in my life, her friendship was critical. A lot was going on at home with my family, mostly my brother, and her laughter, her funny nature kept me going sometimes. Let it be known, that Robin was the first person to give me a sip of beer, (YUCK - IT WAS ROUGH!), first person to see me intoxicated, introduce me to Master P (and turn this **** off), put makeup on me (beyond mascara) and color my hair permanently. A lot of first things I shared with her and I find myself in situations, even 10 years later that will make me laugh out loud or even cry myself silly.
I fear for my kids, only because I know what I did as a teenager wasn't nearly as dangerous as it will be for my kids in 10 years. The things that we so innocently did - like road trips - in 10 years might not even be possible. What I do know, is that I am grateful for her being there for me when I needed it. Though we're 1000 miles away now, no joke, I still enjoy talking to her on the phone and getting an occasional email with "Hi! How are you? Where's your blog for the day?" Friends like these you don't just throw away once you're gone, you carry their memory with your forever.
Thanks Robin! :)
*New weekly feature of Amy's Adventures with Friends coming Thursdays on Soap Box Amy's Blog!
THAT WAS SO COOL AMY ! AND I THINK WE NEEDED EACH OTHER EQUALLY! THANKSFOR ALWAYS BEING THERE GIRL!
ReplyDelete