So, Jason was so excited to get a Golden puppy. He called on it in the paper, so excited to meet the puppy and then we got Yelo. I nearly talked him out of even going to look after we got Yelo, but he just had to show up to make sure he didn't look like a mule.
Jason: "Amy! The guy said I can have one puppy for 145.00 or two for 200.00! Can I get them both?"
Me: "Ummm...." *LONG PAUSE - Thinking to self 'what's the matter if he keeps lowering their price?'*
Jason: "We can sell the other one and make some money from him.... *yadda yadda - at this point I'm not listening*
Me: "I really don't know Jas... not such an awesome idea but you can LOOK."
Jason: "Okay - I gotta go - that guy is calling!"
2 hours pass... "FRONT DOOR - OPEN" my alarm shouts at me. In walks Jason empty handed.
Me: "So, were the pups not cute?"
Jason: "No"
Me: "Soooo.... ummm... were they dead?"
Jason: "No, just come here"
*at this point I realize there is something wrong when he didn't walk in with a bundle in his arms like he had anticipated*
We approach the car and huddled on the floor board, are two balls of fur, shaking, bone thin, and scared to their wits end. I holler for Gracie to go get me a towel and I pick up the little boy. As I snuggle this new little creature, I notice that his countenance is rather low. He must have been through a lot... My heart absolutely ached. Jason began to relay the story of how they showed up delivered in an old beater van from the 70's, in a tiny crate, covered in crap... just a mess...
*it's sad, trust me*
Their bones shivering on themselves, their little bodies covered in urine and poo... It was so sad. The little boy then took a poop on the patio and I saw that it wasn't solid. On closer examination, yeah... worms! I scooped them up and took them to the bathroom, I hollered for Grace to bring me puppy 'poo and some towels so I could get them squeaky clean and get them ready for a vet.
Once they were wet, I realized how thin, how neglected and how disgusted I was that this puppy mill is selling puppies. The thoughts just started rolling through my mind as to what these little tiny creatures had been put through... I got teary eyed and hollered for Jason to call a vet! He couldn't find a phone book and asked which of my friends would be home and able to search... Jodie was home and gave us the number...
I told Jason to tell the lady who he was talking to that we got puppy mill puppies, they were skin and bones, and had worms... They said they would see us in 45 minutes. We packed up and got in the car and made it to the vet.
An hour later, we were seen. Boy puppy - 8.2 pounds - girl puppy - 12.4 pounds... The puppies didn't have the look of Parvo - thank heavens, but were so dehydrated and starving that they each had to have fluids pumped under their skin... yeah. *do you hear my vet bill??* Then they had to be de-wormed again... and the office visit to get in the door... Yeah. I don't know if someone will buy the poor puppy from us for what we even invested in it. They're such good dogs when they're grown, it's going to be a lot on me emotionally to try to invest time into making them safe/secure with adults and to get them fat again.
If you know someone who wants a dog - a good dog for the investment in the long run... let me know... I'm selling for 150.00...
I mean, who couldn't rescue both dogs who had such an uncertain future... well - probably dead if we hadn't picked them up.
Oh my goodness! So sad... if we weren't so darn allergic I'd take one from you in a heartbeat! (Maybe I can work on Jeff)
ReplyDelete