Friday, July 18, 2008

173.2 - And forbidden fruit

So, my awesome friend Amy went and bought some really great fruit yesterday and in the process bought some for me as well. Two of my most favorite things... apricots (for apricot jam) and fresh - farm fresh Cherries... Amy was sweet enough to have me over to teach me how to can jam... it was really cool to learn something. I've got the recipe for apricot jam down pat.


FYI

5 Cups Apricot Slop

1/4 C (a little less than) Lemon Juice

1 packet of pectin - the yellow box

7 Cups Sugar (A LOT!)

1 Tablespoon butter - in case you get foamy


you bring the apricot slop with the lemon juice and pectin to a rolling boil - then add all the sugar - bring to rolling boil again - then 1 minute of rolling boil - and BACK UP! It SPLATTERS! Then you put the stuff in jars, turn the jars upside down on a towel for 10 mins and bingo bango - 24 hours later - you eat it... if you're not on a diet.


With the results of the diet being pretty darn good this morning, I can't help but feel vindicated that the 7 cherries I managed to savor yesterday didn't blow my diet. But, I used to be a cherry loving fool, especially when I was pregnant with Faith.


I came home last night hungry and sad, and Yelo gave me some solace. I brushed out his coat with a new brush I bought and worked in some doggy leave-in conditioner. Something soothing about that dog. He's a special guy. I had a dozen baby carrots steamed, two small pieces of cauliflower and 1/2 cup cottage cheese and went to bed. It was neat to know Yelo was there. I could put my hand out in the middle of the night and pet him while I waited to go back to sleep.


This morning I haven't got in my workout yet. I'm waiting for the smell of this morning's cinnamon rolls to air out, and then I'll be alright, for a while....

1 comment:

  1. I found your apricot jam recipe through a search engine, and I'm sure glad I did! I used to make jam this way with my Mom, but didn't have a recipe. I made some on Friday and my family loves it! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete