Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I guess I have a following!


I went MIA for a few days with regards to my blog and I get called on it! *giggles* Funny how we have this mundane or insane life to share and people actually like to read about it! We may never really realize how much we can help others by what we survive through.

I really gotta say that today was a rather rewarding day. Volunteering is a favorite thing of mine to do because I really feel like I'm doing something better than what I normally do at home... Like sit in my Yoga clothes all day and mindlessly search the internet or read celebrity gossip. Today was especially awesome! I went into Grace's school, thinking I would offer my help to the teacher and get the students in her class the one-on-one time they needed. Thankfully, she could use my help and the kids were happy to see me. Probably because most of them are as tall as me, and could easily pummel me into the ground if they wanted. I don't know that for sure but, ya know? Kids are cute!

Anyway, I got to help a few kids with double digit subtraction and borrowing, Some of these kids had no idea how to do what they needed to and after two problems worked through with them, they got the idea. One little boy was so sweet. He had no confidence because he had all his problems wrong on his paper. I told him "I can show you the easiest way to do your numbers and I promise, you will rock this subtraction!" He looked at me with these really sad boy eyes and I said "let's get to work!" So off we went and slowly he started to catch on. By the 12th problem, he had done one on his own and was so proud of himself. His eyes lit up and he said "I get it!" A million bucks, that's what it felt like to see him do something he thought was impossible. After we finished his page of problems, I wrote a huge "YOU ROCK!!" and two smiley faces on his page. He obliged me with a high five, and as he walked away, he said "thanks..." *wipe tears away now, it's okay*

Kids are amazing. I wish that more of them could see their potential. Most of them need a "you can do it!" and "you rock!" more often. The power of approval is awesome and kids are true champions given the confidence they need.

We might go buy a new car tonight. I think I'm done with the SUV lifestyle. It's terrible for me to get in and out of it and the kids... however... just don't know how we'll fit... *sigh*

Okay, I gotta run and crunch some numbers. Love you lots!

3 comments:

  1. YAY!! Youre back!! Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome - I love feeling like I've made a difference in someone's day. Great job, Amy!!!
    P.S. Did you get a new car??? What did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  3. IF you can teach that little boy math. You will have no problems with the scouts.

    ReplyDelete